Whether you’re looking for ways to preserve the asphalt driveway of your home or your business premises, you may have thought about sealcoating. Sealcoating involves applying a protective layer over your driveway surface and it offers a host of benefits for home and company owners. If you’re thinking about investing in asphalt sealcoating, here’s a guide to the benefits of protecting your paving.
Why should I sealcoat my asphalt driveway?
There are several reasons why it’s beneficial to think about sealcoating an asphalt driveway. These include:
- Longevity: asphalt driveways can be an incredibly cost-effective solution for homeowners. Sealcoating enhances value for money by providing longevity and reducing the risk of damage caused by UV exposure and harmful chemicals. A secure, robust seal will prevent the paving from becoming dry and brittle and lower the risk of cracks forming.
- Curb appeal: your driveway should be an integral part of the exterior aesthetic of your home. However, broken, dry, cracked paving decreases curb appeal, and it could put potential buyers off if you choose to sell. In contrast, a pristine, smooth surface will enhance the appearance of your home and make it more sale-able. According to a survey, 99% of realtors consider curb appeal an important factor when selling houses.
- Cost savings: asphalt driveways may not be the cheapest option in the short-term, but they represent an excellent long-term investment. Sealcoating is an effective means of prolonging life expectancy and ensuring you get more for your money.
- Weatherproofing: the weather can be unpredictable and the elements can take their toll on even the hardiest surfaces. Sealcoating helps to protect driveways by accelerating the speed at which ice and snow melt in the winter and providing a shield against UV rays in the summer. Direct sun exposure can cause oxidation, which contributes to deterioration of the asphalt.
- Maintenance: most home and business owners lead hectic lifestyles. The good news is that sealcoating asphalt makes maintenance much easier. Once the surface is smooth and strong, you can remove dirt and debris with a sweeping brush in a matter of seconds.
The graph below highlights the difference sealcoating can make:
What does sealcoating involve?
Sealcoat is a liquid, which is added to water, silica sand, polymer additives and other carefully-selected solids and additives to create a formula that provides robust protection and beautiful aesthetics. The sealcoat is applied using a sealcoating tank and a spray, brush or squeegee. The curing process is usually complete within 24 hours, so you won’t have to wait long to use your driveway again.
Is sealcoating the right option for me?
Sealcoating is an effective solution for customers who are looking for ways to strengthen paving, smooth surfaces and prolong the lifespan of their driveway. In some cases, where there are signs of damage, it may be worth exploring other options, for example, asphalt repairs.
How can I find out more?
If you’re interested in sealcoating your asphalt driveway, and you’d like to find out more, don’t hesitate to get in touch. The friendly team at Global Outdoor Services will be happy to help. We have many years of experience in providing residential and commercial services and we know exactly how to achieve optimum results.